30 June 2010

Time is running out!

This year, for the first time in my artistic career, I've decided to enter the drawing competition at my local state show. I have no idea what the judges are looking for but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

I love drawing faces with heaps of character. I prefer to draw older people who have years of experience etched into their faces. Their faces are so expressive and tell a story of a life well lived. So, bearing this in mind, I asked my darling Dad to be my subject matter. After trying to grow some stubble for five days (upon my request - adds more depth to my work!), Dad was kind enough to let me take a zillion photos of him. I chose a photo which best captures his essence.

I'm only a third of the way through (you can see my first WIP here) and have only a week and a half to finish the piece before it has to be submitted. The original photo has so much fine detail - wrinkles, stubble, dark areas, light areas, spots - which is fantastic but difficult and time consuming to draw. However, the whole point of entering this competition is to challenge myself and, whilst it would be nice, I don't really mind if I win or not.. that's not really the point. It's about the experience.

Happy drawing everyone! Jo :)
www.fineetch.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment